Adding Cisco IP Phones as multiple devices in CUCM 7 in VMWare

In short:

1. Added VMWare Image of CUCM7 on VMware workstation 8

2. Added VMware image of Windows XP Service Pack 3

3. Changed VMWare Network Adapter Settings to Host-only in CUCM and Windows XP virtual machines

4. Changed network address (subnet) of  VMnet1 Network Adaper (Host only) to the correct range in Virtual Network Editor

5. Disabled local DHCP in VMnet1 in Virtual Network Editor

6. Enabled DHCP service, DHCP subnet and Cisco TFTP service in CUCM7

7. Statically assigned IP addresses to all Windows XP Virtual Machines and clones

8. Enabled VMWare Shared Folders in all Windows XP Virtual Machines

9. Installed Cisco IP Communicator in all Windows XP Virtual Machines


Long version:

Having started studying CCNA-Voice in the past few weeks it had been my aim to simulate a lab environment on my laptop. The Server side for the Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7 had been the easiest as I had managed to procure the Red Hat based image of CUCM 7 from a colleague at my institution. The first hurdle of course was the networking details for the VMWare virtual machine that hosted the  CUCM 7. The CUCM7 was preinstalled with the static IP of thus no IP changes could be made.

After numerous experiments and considerable help from colleagues it was determined that it was best to keep the network settings as Host only, as can be seen from the screenshot below.




Having done this the CUCM web interface was accessible via Mozilla Firefox browser. Somehow Firefox is the best browser for CUCM applications, the menu options not working properly in Chrome and the thought of using Internet Explorer hardly ever crossing the mind.


The next step of course was to simulate the Cisco IP Phones. In order to make each device have a unique IP address and MAC Address I had decided to use multiple Virtual Machines running Windows XP. Through torrents I managed to download a VMWare image of Windows XP Service Pack 3 and started running a Virtual Machine of the same.


It was here that the second major hurdle appeared. Network Connectivity was not being achieved. Despite connecting it as a Host-only, and enabling the DHCP on the CUCM, the Windows XP VM was not communicating with either the host or the CUCM. Having learned that the Virtual Network Adapter VMNet1 is the one in charge of Host-only communications I changed its IP to the correct range, from the host laptop’s Network settings, but still the IP was not being acquired.


It was then that another brainwave occurred to me. I had forgotten to enable the TFTP Service on the CUCM 7 and had enabled that. Then I looked through the Virtual Network Editor settings in the VMWare console and saw that the IP assigned to the VMNet1 here is in the range and not the IP I had assigned in the Network Settings. This I recognized as the reason for the mismatch of IP and why when DHCP is enabled the wrong range of IP Address is being acquired by the Virtual Machine, Windows XP. I also ensured that the local DHCP service for this Virtual Adapter was disabled so that only the DHCP Service run by the CUCM server would be available in the network. I also made sure that the Windows XP virtual machine was assigned a static IP address. The below screenshot describes the Virtual Network Editor settings pertaining to the VMNet1 Virtual Adapter (Host-only).



Having made these changes the Cisco IP Communicator on the Windows XP Service Pack3 Virtual Machine got Auto Registered in CUCM7 !!


Next agenda was of course to ensure that multiple devices could be simulated for that I created multiple clones of the original Windows XP Machine. I chose to make a linked clone rather than a full clone of the base Windows XP virtual machine to conserve space and memory.


After due editing of base network parameters and computer names, I now have a total of 3 Windows XP Machines running on my simulated laboratory. The below screenshot shows the collection of Virtual Machines I host, with Win XP2 and Win XP3 distinguishable as clones.


One major VMWare tool that helped me in these experiments was the VMWare shared folder. In the multiple subnet environment that my host had become through Windows networks I was unable to access the folders I had shared in the Windows domain. It was at this juncture that I learned about VMWare Shared Folders.  From the VMWare Settings window of a Windows XP machine, I enabled the folder sharing, mapped the folder as a Network drive in Windows guests and finally added those folders of my host computer which I wanted to be shared to my virtual machines.


Doing so the installation of Cisco IP Communicator was made easy. The importance of the VMWare shared folder is in that only after cloning can one install the Cisco IP Communicator into the machine for it to be working properly. If one clones a machine with an already running instance of Cisco IP Communicator, the CIPC in the cloned machine would be seen by the CUCM as merely the CIPC of the original PC albeit with a different IP. For it to be recognized as a different Device entirely CIPC must be installed fresh into each clone or uninstalled and reinstalled, all the more reasons why the VMWare shared folders are useful. The below screenshot shows the VMWare Shared Folders settings.


For Windows XP Machines


By doing this I managed to simulate three devices on the CUCM which all got     auto registered and was able to make calls between them successfully!!


1 comment for “Adding Cisco IP Phones as multiple devices in CUCM 7 in VMWare

  1. June 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm

    great experiment done waiting for some more lab experiment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.